Friday, February 22, 2013
MACON, Ga. - FGCU, Stetson, Mercer, North Florida and USC Upstate have clinched a spot in the 2013 General Shale Women’s Basketball Championship.
Two Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball squads are ranked in the top-15 in current win streak with FGCU tied at No. 4 with 16 wins and Mercer tied at No. 11 in the country with 12 games.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- The Hatters are tied at No. 5 in the country for longest home-court winning streak with 16 wins at the Edmunds Center. Stetson’s streak will be in jeopardy against rival FGCU; the Hatters are 1-2 at home vs. the Eagles in the last three season.
- Stetson is the only team in the league with five players ranked in the top-30 in the A-Sun in scoring. Victoria McGowan ranks No. 3 in the conference with 16.9 points per game, while Shanasa Sanders ranks No. 4 averaging 13.8 points per game.
- The Eagles have won its last 33 conference games, which is second longest streak in the country behind Baylor (36). This win streak also marks a conference record. FGCU is outscoring its conference opponents by 25.3 points per game.
- FGCU’s Sarah Hansen was named to the 2013 Capital One Academic All-America women’s basketball second team. Hansen is the first student-athlete in FGCU history to earn Capital One Academic All-American status.
- Mercer’s 12-game win improvement from six wins in 2011-12 to 18 wins this season is the biggest turnaround in the country.
- The Bears Precious Bridges leads the A-Sun in scoring with 18 points per game in league play and 17.6 points per game in the entire season.
- USC Upstate is 2-1 at North Florida over the last three seasons. Earlier this season the Spartans Tee’ Ara Copney landed a game-high 23 points in their 64-52 victory at home.
- In conference play, the Spartans Brittany Starling is averaging 11.7 points per game; the best of the A-Sun freshmen. Starling also leads all players in conference play in shooting percentage (.556)
- Lipscomb’s freshman Alex Banks is the hot hand for the Bisons after landing a 19 point performance vs. Stetson in her last contest. Banks is averaging 11.7 PPG in her last three games.
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon has scored a double-double in 12 games this season. Gideon is averaging 11.1 points per game and 10.5 rebounds and is just one of three players in the country to be a school’s career points and rebounds leader.
- KSU leads the all-time series over Lipscomb, 8-4, winning the first meeting earlier this season on the road, 55-39.
- Northern Kentucky is unbeaten (10-0) when leading at halftime this season and perfect (5-0) when scoring more than 71 points.
- In conference games UNF’s newcomer Ki Conner is leading the league free throw percentage (.857). Teammate Fabiola Josil ranks No. 3 in the league in the same category, shooting .800 from the charity stripe.
- The Osprey’s defense has allowed an average of only 58.5 points per game; No. 2 in the A-Sun.
- Jacksonville has four players ranked in the top-20 in the A-Sun in rebounding with Jade Cargill leading the way with 8.0 rebound per game.
- ETSU is 2-1 at Jacksonville over the last three seasons. The Buccaneers are outrebounding their conference opponents by 7.9 rebounds per game. The Bucs have two players in the top-five in rebounding in league games with Destiny Mitchell (8.4) and Serena Clark (7.7).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.