Thursday, March 07, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Day two of the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Championship started with a Mercer win vs. Jacksonville to advance to the semifinals for the first time since 2009. In the second game of the day No. 4 USC Upstate will take on No. 5 North Florida.
You can follow all the championship action live on ESPN3.
No. 4 USC Upstate vs. No. 5 North Florida - 6 PM EST
- The Spartans are looking for their first A-Sun Championship win after falling to Stetson 72-47 in their first tournament appearance in 2012.
- USC Upstate is making its second appearance in the A-Sun Championship in just their second year of eligibility.
- Upstate’s senior Tee’Ara Copney leads all active A-Sun players in career points with 1,625 total points. Copney ranks No. 13 all-time in scoring in the A-Sun record books and is just 17 points away from moving up to the No. 12 spot.
- The Spartans freshman Brittany Starling has recorded four double-doubles in conference play this season. Starling averages 11.4 points per game in league games and leads the A-Sun in field goal percentage (.541)
- The Ospreys Head Coach Mary Tappmeyer has recorded the most wins of the current A-Sun coaches with 390 career victories.
- In 2010, UNF made its first A-Sun Championship final as a No. 7 seed in the tournament. The Ospreys narrowly fell to No. 1 ETSU 63-62. The Ospreys recorded the only wins by a No. 7 seed in tournament history.
- North Florida’s senior guard Jadhken Kerr scored her 1,000th career point in the last game of the regular season with a nine point performance vs. Lipscomb. Kerr surpassed the 1,000 point plateau with a three point basket and now has 260 career three-point field goals; ranked No. 3 in the A-Sun.
- The Ospreys defense has held its opponents to an average of 58.2 points per game; No. 2 in the A-Sun behind FGCU.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.