Monday, November 11, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Northern Kentucky's Melody Doss and Lipscomb's Ashley Southern secured the first Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Weekly Awards of the season in the opening week of play, announced Monday by the league office.
Doss led the Norse to a decisive home victory against Cincinnati with a career-high 24 points and tying her career-best in rebounds at 11. She shot 50 percent from the field and added two blocks.
Southern had quite the debut at Lipscomb as she contributed 25 points with 18 rebounds in the Bisons overtime contest against Morehead State. The sophomore center was 10-of-19 from the field and added a team-high four assists.
Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Nov. 11th|
| Melody Doss Northern Kentucky
• Jr., Forward
• Greenwood, Ind.
||• First A-Sun Player of the Week award; first in program history
• Netted a career-high 24 points in NKU's 77-61 win vs. Cincinnati
• Added 11 rebounds to tie career-high for boards
• Shot 10-of-20 from the field including two-of-five from three
• Added two blocks, one assist and one steal
• Stats for the Week: 24 PPG, 11 RPG, 50.0% from FG
• Next NKU Contest: Illinois State; Wednesday, Nov. 13th
Sasha Sims, Stetson; Precious Bridges, Mercer; Ty-Nita Baker, Kennesaw State; Brittany Starling, USC Upstate; Destinee Smith, North Florida; Stephanie Edwards, Jacksonville; Whitney Knight, FGCU; Cara Bowling, ETSU
Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Nov. 11th|
| Ashley Southern Lipscomb
• So.; Center
• Tuscumbia, Ala.
||• First Career A-Sun Newcomer of the Week award
• Posted a double-double in Lipscomb debut vs. Morehead State
• Totaled 25 points with 18 rebounds in the overtime loss
• Shot 10-of-19 from the field for 52.6 percent
• Added four assists in 44 minutes of play
• Five of her rebounds were on the offensive end
• Stats for the Week: 25 PPG, 18 RPG, 4 APG
• Next Lispcomb Contest: at UAB; Tuesday, Nov. 12th
Brianti Saunders, Stetson; Sharmayne Edwards, USC Upstate; Sherranda Reddick, Jacksonville; Bailey Florin, North Florida; Jenna Cobb, FGCU
About Player of the Week
The following criteria are used by the Atlantic Sun Conference in selecting the A-Sun Players of the Week in each of the conference’s 20 sports. These criteria are used in no specific order and, in its groupings, one does not weigh more than the others:
• Statistics compiled during the week of competition
• The impact of that person’s efforts in meeting the team goals (i.e., game-winning shot, walk-off home run, etc.)
• Magnitude of the contest on the conference and national level (i.e., game meant championship, etc.)
• When individual participates in more than one game per week, how that individual performs in each of those games, effecting team performance goals
• Level of competition faced by each individual
• Each week’s performance will be considered on its own merit
• Other pertinent factors (i.e., career milestones; program, conference and/or national records)