Wednesday, November 13, 2013
MACON, Ga. - After the first week of the women’s basketball season, three A-Sun squads are undefeated with FGCU (2-0), USC Upstate (2-0) and Northern Kentucky (1-0) still unbeaten.
This week two A-Sun matches will be broadcast on ESPN3, while four more will be featured on ASun.TV. Kennesaw State host Florida on Sunday at 2 p.m. EST in the first ESPN3 broadcast of the week, while USC Upstate hosts South Carolina State on Tuesday, November 19th on ESPN3.
FGCU ranks in the top-ten of the CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Poll for the second week in a row. The Eagles were No. 10 in the preseason ranking and jumped to No. 8 after the first week of play. Stetson and Northern Kentucky are receiving votes in the poll.
#ASunWBB Tweetables (#ASunWBB):
- The Norse defeated the American Athletic Conference’s Cincinnati 77-61 in their season and home-opener. Junior Melody Doss collected a double-double with 24 points and 11 rebounds to lead NKU and earn the first A-Sun Player of the Week Honors of the season.
- Mercer and USC Upstate face ranked opponents on Friday as the Bears play No.22 Georgia and the Spartans travel to No. 2 Duke.
- After falling to No. 11 Oklahoma in its first game of the Preseason WNIT, Stetson heads to Nacogdoches, Texas to play Stephen F. Austin in its next WNIT game on Friday at 8 p.m. EST. On Saturday, Stetson will square off against either Georgia State or North Carolina A&T as the two Friday losers and two Friday winners meet at 5:00 pm ET and 7:00 pm ET, respectively.
- Three of the league’s top-five scorers are underclassmen with Jacksonville’s Sherranda Reddick leading the conference with 26.0 points per game. Lipscomb’s sophomore Ashley Southern starts the season at No.4 with 21.0 points per game followed by FGCU’s sophomore Whitney Knight with 19.5 points per game.
- The Dolphins’ Reddick collected six three-point field goals in her collegiate debut against Florida A&M.
- LU’s Southern recorded 25 points and 18 rebounds in her debut as a Lady Bison against Morehead State. Southern averages 16.0 rebounds per game in Lipscomb’s first two games of the season.
- Kennesaw State won its home-opener for the second year in a row after defeating Tennessee State 70-68 in a free throw battle. Kristina Wells landed two free throws with .5 left on the clock to break the tie between the two squads.
- The Eagles have the largest scoring margin in the league (+26.5) and allow the least amount of points to their opponents (46.5).
- FGCU’s Sarah Hansen is No. 1 among the active A-Sun Women’s Basketball players in career points scored with 1,456 points, which ranks No. 27 in the A-Sun record books. Hansen is 47 points away from cracking the top-25 in the record books.
- The Spartans’ sophomore Brittany Starling went 13-for-15 in shooting in Upstate’s first two games of the season to land a league leading .867 shooting percentage.
- Mercer’s Sharnea Boykin registered her ninth-career ten assist game in the Bears’ 67-64 win vs. Western Carolina.
- ETSU’s Destiny Mitchell is seven points away from her 1,000th career point. Mitchell averages 12.73 points per game in her career and should reach the milestone in the Bucs next match vs. Morehead State on Thursday, November 21st.
- Mitchell leads the active A-Sun players in rebounds with 678 career rebounds and sits at No. 36 in the A-Sun record books. Mitchell has 22 career double-double performances.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.