Wednesday, December 11, 2013
MACON, Ga. - With three weeks remaining before conference action kicks off, half of the A-Sun Women’s Basketball squads are sitting at .500 or better. In this week of non-conference play, there are six games scheduled against teams that are ranked or receiving votes in the AP Women’s Basketball Poll.
Kennesaw State is playing at No. 16 Georgia on Sunday, December 15th at 2 p.m. and can be seen on CSS, While ETSU travels to No. 5 Kentucky and will be broadcast on FSN.
North Florida’s game vs. No. 25 Florida State on Monday, December 16th will be featured on ESPN3.
#ASunWBB Tweetables (#ASunWBB):
- Thirteen of the 15 A-Sun Women’s Basketball contests this week are road games with Stetson and ETSU hosting the only home games in the next seven days of action.
- Stetson leads the league in scoring with 76.7 points per game. The Hatters have scored 75 points or more in five of their nine games this season. ETSU comes in at No. 2 in scoring in the league with 73.1 points per game.
- The Hatters freshmen duo of Brianti Saunders and Amber Porter posted a strong week of play to collect this A-Sun Weekly Honors. Saunders recorded 30 points in Stetson’s 101-66 win vs. Florida A&M. Saunders is the first freshman to register 30 points in a game since Mercer’s Briana Williams did so in the 2010-11 season.
- Melody Doss of Northern Kentucky leads the league is scoring (21.1), free throw shooting percentage (.950) and three-point shooting percentage (.556). Doss has registered 20 or more points in five of the Norse’s eight games this season.
- Mercer’s Teanna Robinson pulled down 20 rebounds in the Bears game vs. Georgia Southern. Robinson is the third A-Sun player in the last five years to grab 20 or more rebounds in a single game.
- FGCU’s Sarah Hansen has 1,539 career points and moved into the top-20 in the A-Sun record books in career scoring after registering 13 points in the Eagles 60-55 win vs. USF. The win marked the Eagles second win of the season vs. a team that appeared in the 2013 NCAA Tournament and third overall win for the league vs. teams from the tournament.
- The Eagles rank No. 11 in the CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Poll with 462 points. FGCU has been ranked in the poll every week this season.
- Lipscomb’s Ashley Southern and ETSU’s Serena Clark are averaging a double-double this season. Both Southern and Clark have five double-doubles and lead the league with the most double-doubles this year.
- Six teams in the league are out-rebounding their opponents this season. North Florida leads the way with +6.2 rebounds per games, while Stetson is No. 2 with +4.3 and Kennesaw State rounds off the top-three in the league with +3.7 rebounds per game.
- USC Upstate’s head coach Tammy George landed her 150th career victory with the Spartans 67-66 victory vs. UNC Asheville.
- The Ospreys’ Lakira Jones and the Hatters’ Sasha Sims are in the top-15 in the A-Sun record books in career blocks. Jones ranks 14th in the A-Sun record books with 132 career blocks and Sims follows right behind with 131 career blocks.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.