Tuesday, February 04, 2014
MACON, Ga. - At the halfway point in Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball play Stetson and FGCU are tied for the top spot in the A-Sun standings with an 8-1 record in league play.
Both the Eagles and the Hatters made an appearance in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top-25 Poll this week as FGCU sits at No. 19 and Stetson cracked the poll at No. 25.
The Hatters are riding an eight game winning streak which is tied for the 13th best win streak in the country. In those eight games Stetson averages 83.75 points per game and is outscoring its opponents by 20.25 points.
#ASunWBB Tweetables (#ASunWBB):
- Northern Kentucky collected a 63-43 win vs. FGCU to snap the Eagles’ 44-game regular season conference win streak that dated back to February 28th, 2011.
- The Norse’s Kayla Thacker shot 80 percent from the field and from three-point range against FGCU to collect A-Sun Player of the Week Honors. Thacker recorded 22 points in the win.
- In conference play the Norse are shooting .343 from behind the three-point arc, which is No. 2 in the A-Sun behind JU with a .353 shooting percentage.
- Stetson’s Amber Porter garnered her fifth A-Sun Newcomer of the Week Accolade of the season. Porter’s five honors is the most newcomer awards earned in A-Sun Women’s Basketball history.
- USC Upstate extended its winning streak to five after picking up a win at Jacksonville and North Florida last week. The Spartans are tied for fourth-place in the league standings with the Dolphins with a 6-3 conference record.
- Jacksonville leads the league in steals per game in conference play with 11.7 steals. The Dolphins’ have four players in the top-ten in steals per game including the league leader Queen Alford with 2.7 steals per game in conference action.
- FGCU’s Sarah Hansen is projected to finish her senior season ranked No. 7 in three statistical categories in the A-Sun record books (points, field goals made and free throws made).
- Lipscomb’s two sophomores, Danay Fothergill and Ashley Southern rank in the top-five in the league in scoring in conference play. Fothergill is No. 1 in points per game with 22.1 points per game after the first half of A-Sun play.
- Southern has cracked the top-ten in the nation in double-doubles this season after recording a double-double in 16 of the Lady Bisons 20 games.
- Mercer’s Sharnea Boykin also picked up a spot in the top-ten nationally with 6.8 assists per game. The Bears guard has 577 career assists and is projected to finish the season with 637 assists which ranks No. 3 all time in the A-Sun.
- ETSU averages 68.4 points per game this year which is the second-best in the league. The Bucs Cara Bowling leads the squad with 12.7 points per game, while Serena Clark averages a double-double with 11.0 points per game and 10.6 rebounds.
- North Florida has held its opponents to only 62.0 points per game this season; the second-best in the conference behind FGCU (61.4).
- Kennesaw State hosts Lipscomb on Thursday as the Owls hold a 4-3 advantage against the Lady Bisons since the 2010-11 season.
- Kristina Wells has the hot hand for the Owls with 19.7 points in her last three games. Wells has ten double-doubles this season.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.