Tuesday, February 18, 2014
MACON, Ga. - As Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball action continues Stetson and FGCU stand strong on top of the standings with a 12-1 league record.
Last week in conference play both the Hatters and the Eagles clinched a first round home game in the 2014 A-Sun Championship. Both squads are a perfect 6-0 in league play at home this season.
FGCU and Stetson are neck-and-neck in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Women’s Basketball Poll as the Eagles sit at No. 18 with 224 points and the Hatters are at No. 19 with 183 points.
The Hatters look to extend on their program record 12-game winning streak at North Florida on Thursday. Stetson’s win streak is the fifth-longest streak in the country.
#ASunWBB Tweetables (#ASunWBB):
- In league play Stetson averages 79.5 points per game to lead the A-Sun. Lipscomb comes in at No. 2 with 71.7 points per game.
- The Lady Bisons landed two wins in league play last week as Ashley Southern led the team with 20 points and 9.5 rebounds for A-Sun Player of the Week Honors.
- Southern recorded her 18th double-double of the season with 29 points and 12 rebounds vs. UNF.
- Lipscomb’s Danay Fothergill leads the league in scoring with 18.7 points per game followed by Mercer’s Precious Bridges (15.9) and Stetson’s Sasha Sims (15.8).
- Mercer’s Teanna Robinson has jumped into the top spot of the active A-Sun players in career blocks with 152. She ranks 12th in the A-Sun record books in career blocks and is averaging 3.9 blocks per game this season; second-best average in the country.
- Sharnea Boykin has recorded 599 career assists with the Bears. Boykin needs ten more assists to jump into the top-five in the A-Sun record books in career assists.
- FGCU’s Sarah Hansen is 26 points from ranking in the top-ten in the A-Sun record books in career scoring. Hansen currently 1,786 career points.
- Jacksonville hosts FGCU and Stetson this week as the Dolphins look to build off their 6-1 record at home this season. On its home court JU averages 74.9 points per game, while the Eagles average 67.4 points per game on the road and the Hatters average 76.6 points in road contests.
- In conference action Kennesaw State’s Kristina Wells is averaging 18.0 points per game (second in the A-Sun) and 9.2 rebounds per game (third in the A-Sun).
- Wells currently has 947 career points and is on pace to surpass the 1,000 point milestone in four games.
- USC Upstate’s Brittany Clency has the hot hand for the Spartans in their last three games as she’s averaged 16.3 points per game. Clency’s season average is 11.2 points per game.
- Northern Kentucky’s Kelley Wiegman collected A-Sun Newcomer of the Week Honors after leading the Norse to a 2-0 week. Wiegman averaged 15 points per game last week and shot 66.7 percent from behind the arc .
- ETSU’s Serena Clark is averaging a double-double this season with 10.1 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game.
- North Florida is out rebounding its opponents by 3.1 rebounds per game this season. The Ospreys have three players in the top-15 in the league in rebounds per game with Paulina Zaveckaite leading the way with 6.8 rebounds per game.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.