Wednesday, January 30, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Jacksonville's Joane Pierre and Northern Kentucky's Tyler Thomas captured Atlantic Sun Indoor Track and Field weekly honors as announced by the conference on Wednesday.
Pierre took first place in two races this weekend at the Jimmy Carnes Invitational, while Thomas landed in third place in the high jump at the SPIRE Midwest Open.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Joane Pierre, Jacksonville
(Sr. – Distance – Immokalee, Fla. – Management)
- First Career Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award
- Led from start to finish in the 800m with a time of 2:13.41
- Secured first-place in the mile with a time of 4:50.76
- Performance in the mile broke a Jacksonville school record
- Currently is the top-performer in the A-Sun in the mile run
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
- Nicole Riveron (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Set an NKU freshman record in the 400m with a time of 1:00.61
- Brianna Frazier (Jr., North Florida) – Broke an Osprey school record in the 55m dash with 7.10 finish in the finals
(Fr. – Jumps – Cincinnati, Ohio)
- First Career Indoor Field Athlete of the Week award
- Landed in third-place in the high jump at the SPIRE Midwest Open
- Leap of 1.65 meters was a personal best and broke a Norse record
- Stands at No. 3 in the conference in the high jump this season
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.