Friday, February 08, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Six Atlantic Sun Women’s Indoor Track and Field squads are competing this week as teams prep for the upcoming A-Sun Championship. This weekend marks the last meets the squads are competing in before teams travel to Johnson City, Tenn. to see how they fair in the conference championship.
Jacksonville ranks the highest of the A-Sun Women’s squads at No. 7 in the South Region of the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Poll.
A-Sun Women's Track & Field Notes (#ASunTF):
- USC Upstate’s freshman Dominique Nock will be competing in the 60-meter dash and the 400-meter. this weekend at the Tiger Paw Invite. Earlier this season she set an Upstate record in the 60-meter dash at Clemson’s Orange & Purple Winter Classic on December 1, clocking in at 7.81.
- At the TSU Invite, the Bisons Dani Walker came away with a pair of victories in the mile run and as a member of the distance medley relay team. Walker took the gold in the mile run, finishing more than five seconds in front of second place with a time of 5:00.43. She also anchored the winning distance medley relay squad that finished in a time of 11:55.41.S
- The Owls hold top marks in the throwing events this season with Gwen Jones recording the best heave in the shot put (13.93m). KSU also holds the four best marks this season in the weight throw with Jones leading the pack with a heave of 17.49m at the Niswonger Invitational and Shermaine Pinkard(17.32m), Suzee Mills(16.80m) and Shannon Hooper(16.67m) falling in line behind her.
- Last week the Buccaneers Chelsea Clark recorded an A-Sun best performance this season in the 3,000m with a time of 9:47.04 at the Hilton Garden Invitational. This week Clark will set her sights on the distance medley relay and the mile at the Tiger Paw Invitational.
- Northern Kentucky’s Karena Fulks picked up an event win and two second-place results at the Cedarville Collegiate Indoor. Her time of 7.59 won the 55-meter dash and set a new school record, while her mark of 27.32 in the 200-meter dash was good for second place. Fulks also placed second in the long jump with a mark of 17-2.25 (5.24m).
- UNF’s Brianna Frazier holds the fastest times in the A-Sun this season in the 200m (24.37) and the 400m (54.38).
- Jacksonville swept the A-Sun Indoor Track and Field Honors last week with Bienna Freeman’s time of 2:08.17 in the 800m breaking a school record and ranking No. 24 in the country and Charlene Charles taking four out of the five events in the pentathlon. Charles’ point total of 4,049 in the pentathlon ranks No. 10 nationally.
- The Dolphins have the most top recorded marks in the A-Sun this season with nine total followed by the Owls with four.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.