Wednesday, September 26, 2012
MACON, Ga. - One week into conference play and three teams are tied at the top of the Atlantic Sun women's soccer standings; FGCU, Jacksonville and North Florida.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- Jacksonville and North Florida meet on Friday in the River City Rumble on UNF’s campus. The Dolphins hold a four-game win streak in the rivalry, but the last five matches have been determined by only one goal.
- FGCU, Jacksonville and North Florida all opened A-Sun play on the road last weekend and all three came away with two wins to sit atop the conference standings.
- In its past 23 A-Sun games, the FGCU defense has allowed only four goals. On the flip side, FGCU’s offense has scored 56 goals in those 23 games. The Eagles are 19-1-3 during that stretch.
- ETSU’s Ramey Kerns has scored 12 goals this season (2nd in the nation). Her 12 goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2007 when Kennesaw State’s Caitlin Dingle tallied 17 goals. In 2007, Dingle’s teammate Annie Phillips scored 16 goals as did Jacksonville’s Keri Zwikker.
- Kerns became the first women’s soccer student-athlete since Kennesaw State’s Dingle in 2007 to win three A-Sun Player of the Week awards in the same season. No women’s soccer student-athlete has ever won four Player of the Week honors in the same season.
- FGCU’s freshman goalkeeper, Brittany Brown won her second A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week award after picking up two road wins to start the conference season. Of the past 18 A-Sun Defensive Weekly Honors, FGCU has won eight of them.
- Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio compiled 17 saves in the first two conference games to move to a tie for 11th in the A-Sun career record books with 302 career saves. Zerio needs 20 more saves to crack the top-10 and pass FAU’s Molly Keating (2000-03) with 321.
- Mercer (3-0-1) remains as the only undefeated A-Sun team at home this season, while Kennesaw State (2-0) and FGCU (2-0-1) are the lone undefeated teams in true road games.
- Northern Kentucky and Kennesaw State are the only teams in the A-Sun to have a losing record at home, but winning marks on the road. The Norse are 0-4 at home and 3-2 in road matches, while Kennesaw State is 1-4-1 at home and 2-0 on the road.
- Through the first week of A-Sun play, 50 A-Sun women’s soccer student-athletes have started in every contest for their team. FGCU leads the way with nine of the same starters for every contest.
- Jacksonville’s Becca Massip is tops in the A-Sun for most career starts with 69 just ahead of Mercer’s P.A. Upson with 68. With five more starts, Massip will crack the A-Sun career record books for starts in 25th place.
- USC Upstate’s goalkeeper Sarah Plantz is ninth in the nation for saves with 71. Last season, Plantz recorded 82 saves with a 3.17 GAA and .689 save percentage. Plantz has improved those numbers this season with a 2.95 GAA and .703 save percentage.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.