Thursday, October 11, 2012
MACON, Ga. - With only 18 Atlantic Sun women's soccer conference matches remaining, the regular-season title is up for grabs as only four points separates first and sixth place. North Florida and FGCU are tied for first place with 13 points, while ETSU sits in sixth with nine points.
Mercer and Kennesaw State host North Florida and Jacksonville on Friday and Sunday in a showdown of four top teams, while ETSU and USC Upstate welcome Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky into town. FGCU and Stetson square off on Saturday in the lone match of the day.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- ETSU’s Ramey Kerns leads all NCAA women’s soccer student-athletes in goals (15) and goals per game (1.154). Kerns added two goals in the Buccaneers only game last week vs. USC Upstate.
- Kerns’ 15 goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2007 and fourth-best total in the last eight seasons. Her next goal will tie her for 20th-best single-season mark in A-Sun history with four others.
- Jacksonville owns the longest home unbeaten streak in regular season conference play at 16 contests. The Dolphins are 13-0-3 in A-Sun home matches since their last loss on Oct. 2, 2009. FGCU is right behind JU with a 15-game home unbeaten streak. The Eagles are 14-0-1 in home conference matches since their last loss on Oct. 3, 2009.
- Stetson has the hardest remaining schedule as the Hatters’ three upcoming opponents own a combined 10-2-4 record in A-Sun play. Mercer and Kennesaw State own the second-hardest slate of games as their final four opponents are 11-5-5 in league games. NKU and Lipscomb own the easiest schedule as their opponents have a .250 winning percentage.
- Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio owns 324 career saves - good for 10th in the A-Sun career record books. Zerio could pass Campbell’ Erin Switalski (329) and Stetson’s Sylvia Vigil (334) this weekend.
- USC Upstate goalkeeper Sarah Plantz has racked up 90 saves this season, which is the most in the A-Sun and ranks 10th in the nation. Lipscomb’s Zerio is also in the top-20 nationally with 84 saves - good for 19th.
- Mercer (5-0-1) remains as the only undefeated A-Sun team at home this season. Last season, Jacksonville (7-0-1) and North Florida (4-0-2) were the only teams to post undefeated home records.
- Northern Kentucky and Kennesaw State are the only teams in the A-Sun to have a losing record at home, but winning marks on the road. The Norse are 0-6 at home and 4-3 in road matches, while Kennesaw State is 2-5-1 at home and 4-0 on the road.
- Jacksonville’s Becca Massip and Mercer’s P.A. Upson are tied for the most career starts amongst active players with 72. With two more starts, the duo will crack the A-Sun career record books for starts in 25th place.
- North Florida’s duo of Carolina Lencina and Lauren Hopfensperger are the top scoring duo in the A-Sun with 35 combined career goals. Hopfensperger owns 18 career goals - one more than Lencina. ETSU’s tandem of Ramey Kerns and Morgan Thomas is shortly behind the Osprey 1-2 punch with 30 goals.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.