Friday, April 05, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Five of the nine A-Sun teams own winning records overall with only two weeks remaining until the 2013 Atlantic Sun Women's Tennis Championship. ETSU sits undefeated in conference play, while North Florida (3-1), FGCU (4-2) and Stetson (4-2) are right behind the Buccaneers.
A-Sun Women's Tennis Notes (#ASunWTen):
- ETSU can clinch the first spot in the A-Sun Championship with a win vs. Lipscomb on Friday. The Bisons come to Johnson City with a 2-3 record in league play, while the Lady Bucs have dropped only three points in four conference matches.
- Northern Kentucky and USC Upstate are also in action on Friday in league play as the two squads square off in Spartanburg. USC Upstate owns a 2-2 record with wins vs. FGCU and Stetson on the road, while the Norse are searching for their first win of the season.
- Four conference matches are set for Saturday as "Peach State" rivals face one another with Mercer hosting Kennesaw State. The Bears sit at 1-4 in A-Sun play trailing the Owls at 2-3. Stetson travels to North Florida for a battle of two teams with winning conference records. ETSU hosts NKU, while USC Upstate welcomes Lipscomb.
- Lipscomb has posted seven wins for the first time since the 2007 season, while LU's Jenny Borck has reached double-digit wins with her 12-4 record. She is the first Bison over the past six seasons to reach double-digit wins in singles play.
- ETSU owns the top-two singles records in the A-Sun with Lyn Yee Choo leading the way at 12-1 this season and Antonia Kolovou at 11-1. Stetson's Diana Bukajev (13-2) and FGCU's Elizabeth Means are (12-2) have the next two best winning percentages.
- Kolovou is 9-1 overall at No. 1 singles this season with a 4-0 record in conference play at the top spot. Choo has earned all of her wins at No. 3/4 singles with a perfect 6-0 record at No. 3, while also owning a 4-0 record in league play at No. 3.
- North Florida has two doubles teams with undefeated records this season; Rebeca Pereira and Simona Weymar (6-0) and Marina Cunningham with Taylor Hollander (3-0). Kennesaw State's Alexandra Apostu and Jana Hueckinghaus have teamed up for a 4-0 record in doubles for the Owls.
- In conference matches, the Stetson duo of Diana Bukajeva and Jen Miller are a perfect 6-0 with all of their wins coming at No. 2 doubles. Five other tandems own undefeated records in conference play.
- Eight A-Sun student-athletes currently own undefeated records in singles play in conference matches. FGCU's Elizabeth Means leads the way at 5-0 as all five of her league wins have come at No. 5 singles.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.