Sunday, May 12, 2013
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of North Florida women's tennis team fell to sixth-ranked Miami in the first round of the NCAA Championships on Saturday, dropping a 4-0 contest that began on Friday afternoon and was completed Saturday morning due to weather.
The Hurricanes captured the doubles point in short order on Friday, besting UNF at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Miami then earned wins at the No. 4 and No. 5 positions in singles before rain and lightning forced the teams to abandon the match for the night.
At 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, the match was resumed. Lina Lileikite of Miami, who held a 6-2, 5-2 advantage when the match was postponed, quickly held serve to seal the match for the Hurricanes.
The Ospreys end their 2013 season with a 17-4 record, having claimed their second Atlantic Sun Championship in as many years. Seniors Lorena Aviles and Melanie Aguirre wrapped up their UNF careers in fine style, as Aviles was named the A-Sun Player of the Year and Aguirre earned the championship-clinching point in the finals of the A-Sun Tournament.
1. #60 Stephanie Wagner (UM) vs. Lorena Aviles (UNF-W) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
2. #81 Kelsey Laurente (UM) vs. Simona Weymar (UNF-W) 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
3. #105 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) 6-2, 6-2
4. #102 Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Taylor Hollander (UNF-W) 6-3, 6-1
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Melanie Aguirre (UNF-W) 6-1, 6-0
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) vs. Mariella Calderon (UNF-W) 6-4, 1-3, unfinished
1. Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) vs. Lorena Aviles/Melanie Aguirre (UNF-W) 6-3, unfinished
2. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Simona Weymar/Rebeca Pereira (UNF-W) 8-3
3. Stephanie Wagner/Brittany Dubins (UM) def. Taylor Hollander/Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,4,3)